Anna’s First Recital

May 7th, 2010

Miss Anna has been taking pre-dance classes this year, and tonight (and tomorrow afternoon AND tomorrow night) she got to perform in her first dance recital!  I took some photos and a little video last night at the dress rehearsal.  Her class of 3 and 4 year olds wore little mermaid costumes and danced to “Under the Sea.”  They were very cute!  Not very accurate, but cute, nonetheless.  The video was shot with people walking in front, etc., so it’s not great, but you get the idea.

Miss Anna turns 5!

April 2nd, 2010

Our baby turned 5 today!  She had a wonderful, monkey-filled day.  I keep wondering how long this monkey phase is going to last, but I have to admit, I much prefer it to Barbies, or Miley Cyrus, or the Jonas Brothers, so I’m not discouraging it!

She took cupcakes to school, wore her monkey mask, went with Mama to have her hair cut, went to ballet class, and then finally got to come home and open her presents.  She got monkeys, a zhu zhu hamster, Polly Pocket, arts and crafts, books, a musical doll, Kai Lan, and the biggest hit of all, a grabbing tool!  What bliss!

Tonight, in bed, she asked me if she could start going to kindergarten tomorrow, now that she’s 5.  We kept explaining to her last fall that Will was going to K because he was 5, so obviously, she should now go to K as well.  I managed to make examples of her friends in preK who have already turned 5, and who are still in her class.   I think she finally understood that she’ll be going next fall.  I really think she’s still just jealous that Will gets to ride the bus!

Anna and her cake

Anna and her cake

I’m so far behind on the blogging that I have no hope of catching up, so I’m going to try to modify my blogging approach and try to post just short items with a picture or two, instead of the novellas with 20 pictures I tend to put up, which take me several hours to edit and post.  I do have photos from Christmas, Will’s birthday, and our trip to OK in March that I want to share, so I’ll try to select the best and get them up.

Good thing she has a queen-sized bed …

December 7th, 2009


If she only had a twin, she’d hang off both sides!

School pics 2009!

November 18th, 2009

Here they are!  My devilish little boy and angelic little girl!

I’m going to try turning commenting back on to see if the spam attack is over …

Will "the pill"

Will "the pill", age 5

Anna Banana

Anna Banana, age 4

Happy Gotcha Day, Anna!

November 14th, 2009

Three years ago today, a little girl in Nanning, China, took this middle-aged couple and made us a family.  She wasn’t happy about it that day, naturally, nor was she happy about it for the next few months.   But, with a lot of work, and patience, and especially love, she is one of the two most important things that has ever happened to us.  We are so proud, and thrilled, and amazed every single minute of every day, to be the parents of Miss Anna.  Thank you for joining our family, sweetheart!

PS – I have temporarily turned off commenting on the blog.  I was hit with 87 spam messages this evening between 6 and 10 PM, so I need to figure out how to regulate the spam hits a little more.  I apologize that you will be unable to comment at present, but please feel free to send me an e-mail and I can figure out a way to get them in!

Anna the very special banana!

Anna the very special banana!

Back up a month to Anna’s first day of school

October 29th, 2009

Before I start in on too many other things while I’m trying to catch up, first let me apologize for being so long between posts.  Yes, there have been many things going on that have prevented me from having the time to put into editing all the photos and finding clever words to describe our everyday doings.  But, let me reassure everyone that the kids are doing just fine, and none of the issues we’ve been having are due to problems with them.  They are primarily work-related, and I’ll probably talk about them somewhere in this catch-up flurry I’m working on.  I have not mysteriously and magically located another 6 hours to put into each day (other than the ones I normally use for sleeping, which I don’t much, anymore), but one time-consuming hurdle was, well, hurdled yesterday, so I’m giving myself a little bit of leisure today.  This leisure will last about 10 more minutes, before Anna and Daddy get home from preschool, so I’ll try to hurry this post up a bit.

Anna started school right after Labor Day, in her same classroom with the same beloved teachers.  She was not at all nervous, but was then, and still is, a bit miffed that Will is getting to ride “her” school bus to school every day, and she is not.  Hmph.  In the photos below, you’ll notice that instead of the shorts and t-shirts that everyone else puts their kids in for the first day of school, my kid is wearing jeans and a jacket.  Yep, that’s the way it is in northern Vermont in September.   Not many shorts-wearing days here after school starts.  Oh, some kids wear ’em, but I think they freeze to death.

PS – the leisure time before everyone got home only lasted 8 minutes, so I’m rushing this to “press.”  Apologies for errors, which I will check on later.  I hope.

Two years!

October 29th, 2009

Today marks the second anniversary of William Joseph Winter Casciari joining our family!  From a scared little toddler leaving the only home he’d ever known in Yinchuan, to the little warrior you see today, who rides the bus to school all by himself, who plays soccer with the big kids, and who grins and giggles and charms his way into everyone’s heart.

Thanks for becoming part of our crazy household, Will!

Will’s tooth

September 3rd, 2009

My little 5-1/2 year old kindergartner has lost his first tooth!  We knew he had a loose tooth after the dentist pointed it out to us a couple of weeks ago (more on that later.)  We’ve been watching it, but no major advances had been made.  Sunday evening, he was concerned about it while Joe was brushing his teeth, and then, while we were video-Skyping with Grandma and Grandpa, he couldn’t kep his hand out of his mouth.  I looked at his tooth, and it was so loose that he could push it down flat.  I asked him if I could work on it, and after a few minutes of wiggling, it came out!  He was so excited!  We put it in an envelope for the tooth fairy, and kept it for the next night so Anna could see it the next day.  My little boy is growing up!

A couple of weeks ago, the kids had their first visit to a pediatric dentist.  We chose someone down in Norwich (about an hour away) based on a recommendation from a dental hygienist friend and our own dentist’s office.  The dentist was very nice, and seemed to win the kids over easily.  He has a nice practice.  Anna had no problems at all, of course.  Will, on the other hand, has a cavity on a rear molar, so he will have to have a filling in a month or so.  The doctor took x-rays of his teeth, and found that his alveolar cleft is worse on one side than the other, and he may only need grafting on one side.  He seemed to feel that wouldn’t happen until he was 8 or 9.  He seems to have his two middle adult incisors, but is missing the two lateral incisors.  That’s the same as his baby teeth.  His adult canines are there, but appear to be oriented crookedly at present.  He will likely need some orthodontics when he gets older.  He may be able to have implants for the two missing incisors when he’s older if he needs them.  All in all, about what we expected, and certainly better than we feared.  A good visit!

Will’s first day of “real” school!

August 28th, 2009

I realize he’s now been through TWO whole days of kindergarten, but here is the report on his first day!  He did very well, I think.  He was a little worried, but we had a lovely open house in his classroom on Monday afternoon, so he was familiar with the place, his hook for his backpack, his cubby and his mailbox, and all of his classmates.  There is only one little girl in his class new to the area, that he didn’t know last year.  A wonderful situation for him.

He ate his breakfast, got dressed, posed for some pics, then went outside to wait for the bus with Daddy.  Mama was ready for work already, so she was lurking about outside with the camera.  The bus arrived, he marched right up, climbed on, got in the seat behind the driver, and sat down.  I ran to my car, hopped in, and headed off for the school.  We are virtually the last stop on the way to school, so by the time I got there and parked,  his bus was already unloaded and pulling away.  The librarian (a neighbor of ours) was outside directing kids indoors, and she said he got right off and headed in.  I had some vaccination information for his records, so I went in and gave them to the secretary, then went down the hall to peak at him.

His little backpack was already on his hook, and he had already given his money to his teacher for lunch, and placed his order for a hot dog.  He still looked a little worried, but he did everything right.  I saw him in there with all those big kids, marching around like he knew what he was doing, and then I finally had to cry.   Didn’t help that his beloved preschool teacher was also there helping out, watching him proudly.  I gave him an extra kiss and got out of there.   I was misty-eyed all day.  Of course, I had to work, so I didn’t get to see him come home, but Joe reports he got off the bus, gave the driver a thumbs up, and marched down the driveway.  Overall, a successful first day.

His second day was a success, too.  I didn’t go out to the bus with him this AM, since I was still recovering from dealing with that nasty old woman last night until about 2AM, but I met him coming home on the bus.  He doesn’t quite understand the procedure for crossing the street yet; he is supposed to get off, then wait by the door and wait for the driver to give him a thumbs up before he crosses in front of the bus and crosses the street.  Today, he marched in front of the bus, then stopped, looked at her, and gave HER a thumbs up.  She made him go back to the right place and start over.  We’ve been talking about it all evening, so I hope he has it figured out now.  If he can’ t get it, he will have to stay on the bus for another 5 minutes or so, while she goes up the street to drop off a few other kids, then turns around and comes back by our house on our side of the street.

Here are the day 1 pics!

I know everyone is waiting …

August 26th, 2009

I’ve got photos of Will’s first day of kindergarten and everything – and just when I sit down to start composing a post, the cussed pager goes off.  Yes, at 11:45 PM.  I have to get clothes on, and go put a poor elderly cat belonging to a poor elderly lady to sleep so he (and she) doesn’t have to suffer all night.  I don’t mind, as long as I don’t have to be particularly brilliant or perform miracles of modern medicine after midnight, but I have to say, this emergency call is getting more and more onerous.  My last several times on-call, I’ve had toxicity dogs coming in after midnight, calls at 2:30 AM about dying dogs, etc.  Come on, people!  I’m 45 years old, with two little kids at home I’m trying to spend an hour or two of quality time with every day, between working 12 hours a day, running a business, saving lives.  I’m doing the work of a vet and a half, with an ad out for a full-time associate for over a year now, and no serious takers.  I can’t do it much longer.

Enough whining.  I will be posting about Will’s first day, but it will likely be tomorrow.  At least, once I get through tonight, I have tomorrow off.  So I can catch up on the 50 charts I haven’t written yet from this week.

Apparently I’m not happy tonight.  But, Will’s first day seemed to be a rousing success, so you all don’t have to continue to worry about it.  Back soon.